"On Tuesday the 13th of October Thurrock Council are holding an open day with South Essex College between 10am and 4pm at the High Street campus (near the Beehive centre).
This is to raise awareness on eye health and provide people with sensory conditions information and advice to support them to remain independent.
We have the following organisations confirmed:
- Humanware - Technology and computing aids
- Action on hearing loss
- Deafblind UK
- MIND/Thurrock centre for independent living/Cariads
- Library services
- Sensory service
- RP Society
- DIAL – benefits and advice
- Socialeyes – local support groups
- Seeability – Supports people with sight loss and additional physical or learning disabilities
- Essex Fire and Rescue
- Vitality – health checks>
- Stroke Association
- Guide Dogs
Guide dogs will have a sensory tunnel outside and RNIB eye pod will enable family members to view the town through the eyes of someone with a sight condition
With many older people experiencing some degree of sensory loss and people with a learning disability more likely to, it’s a great opportunity for people to come over, develop their knowledge and skills on sensory issue." - Via Julie Curran at Thurrock Council.